Before fighting in this game realize this one fact:
“All the fighting calculations thus far are poor at best and result in unrealistic and unfair battles.”
As above, you can quote me on that. So how do you overcome this? Well, this will teach the basics of combat.
- Pick your battles: Don’t attack people who have double your prestige. Don’t attack any valleys above level four if your archery is smaller than the level of the flat. (Example: lvl 5 archery, lvl 6 flat. DON’T DO IT. Unless you over compensate)
- Scout ahead: Learn the enemy’s tech and such. Unless you have a massive army on hand, never go into battle without knowing what you face. You never know if the enemy has anything worth taking. Also, it’s usually easy to tell when a city is inactive. (Check to see if the goods are at a number ending in three zero’s). Also, if the scouts die, it’s a good way to know NOT to attack there.
- Army types. These are good forms of armies:
- Scouting army: You have leveled up your informatics as fast as possible, and this army consists of 1000+ scouts (never for attack)
Informatics: (see chapter 2)
- Speed: No warriors, consisting of Calvary and Cataphracts. Used to thieve from in-actives while your siege force is out and about. Down sides: This army would be the only thing that can take out abatis, so any inactive that did the abatis quest has 100 of these to break through. That’ll cost the average player roughly 60 Calvary.
- War party: This is a force of one melee type (warriors are the cheapest) and archers. This would be used to destroy any and all opposing armies in fields and is good for defense.
- Siege force: This is a force containing a large amount of archers and swords. Also, it will contain transports for increased capacity and any siege weapons you can afford so to remove archers towers quickly.
How to protect your archers: Though this is taking advantage of the system, it is a perfectly reasonable way to do it. Put one warrior, one swordsman, one pike man, and one Calvary in your army of archers. This will double your kills. Why? Well, the game has it set up so the enemy army has uses their entire move action attacking your one man, so you therefore postpone their attacks for 1 round. With four types with four different speeds in the way, the enemies will be slowed and killed by the archers. (I personally hope this glitch will be removed from the game, but till then, take full advantage of it.)